Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Grande Pines - Round One

Im back in Orlando this week for a Suncoast event at Grande Pines Golf Course! Today was the first round, and unfortunately, it wasn't my best. I started off pretty good with a birdie on the first hole. I made pars the next two holes, but a terrible swing left me in the right greenside bunker on the par three, #4. I hit a great shot out to five feet! Unfortunately, I missed the putt. At this point I was a little shaken about my shot, and now I was a little shaken about my putting! I hit a great approach on the next hole to 6' for birdie. It was a slider, and I misjudged the speed. I made a few more pars, but my putting "jitters" were amplified by my three putt from 15' on #8! I went on to bogey the ninth as well, making the turn at three over. Another wayward approach on #10 left me with a 60' putt up and over a huge ridge in the green. I three putted...again.i missed the green on #12 & had a tough lie in the bunker. It came out thin & sailed over the green. On the other side, I needed to hit a high flop to the pin, avoiding a severe slope coming right back at me. I hit a good shot to about 10' but missed the putt. I made double bogey. This was one of those moments that sneak up on you in tournament golf. You start to feel like you can't do anything right, and it's a quick, slippery slope to a high score. I recognized my anxiety & made a conscious decision to focus on the basics: it the fairway, hit the green, see the shot you want to hit, and commit. Of course, saying a little prayer helped, too! I birdied the next hole! I hit greens & gave myself good looks at birdie coming in. When I missed the green I didn't panic or get down on myself. I played the last six holes one under! I carded a five over, 77 for the day. Not a good day, but I was glad that I didn't succumb to the discouragement that reared its ugly head during the round. Statistically, my ball striking wasn't very good today. I only hit 10 greens. Plus, when I missed, I didn't miss in the best area, leaving myself tough up & downs. My putting wasn't so hot either. I had 32 putts total, making only two birdies, missing a couple of 5 footers, and had two three putts. This course reminds me a lot of a Robert Trent Jones course. It has intimidating approach shots, undulating & multi level greens, and can get pretty tight in some places. I think I let my nerves get the better of me today on my approach shots, and had trouble committing to the shot I wanted to hit. I worked for a while on the range afterward, and will do a better job of commenting to the shot I want to hit rather than all the other possible outcomes! I was able to get my putting instructor to take a quick look at my stroke & he noticed that my shoulders were closed at set up. This could explain the inconsistencies in my putting despite all my practice! We worked on making sure my shoulders were parallel & I feel much better about tomorrow! I tee off tomorrow at 11:48 EST! I'll keep you updated, and thank you again for checking in! I truly appreciate all of your support & encouragement! Have a good night! Soli Deo Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment